Saturday, October 24, 2009

Art of Writing a Life in a Page

Last few days, as a part of the Placecomm's task, I was going through the resumes of my colleagues. As though I'm no expert in resume making but I had a 3-hours long detailed session on my resume with one of the 'Top Team' faculty members of our college. [What a session that was! It shook my fundamentals about resume building.
Just before starting of that session, faculty called my resume as "atrocious". I was taken aback by that word. But when he started sharing with me the nitty-gritties of my resume, I realized that 'atrocious' word for my resume was not a hyperbole.]

So while going through those resumes, I noticed few mistakes which were there in my resume as well. I'll point them down:

1) Use of unnecessary letters and words - redundancy.
Ex- We can write 'e' rather than 'e-mail id'

2) Over usage of BLOCK LETTERS- the problem with the words in block letters is that they are difficult to read

3) Absence of 'Triggers' - Triggers are those words or phrases in your CV which prompts an interviewer to ask questions on them. It is important to highlight such words.

4) Formatting - same fonts and style should be used.size of letters should not vary much. Name must be larger in size, headings can be larger but not necessary

5) Writing objective and declaration is not necessary, in fact not advisable for students especially with zero or less work-ex.

6) We should think of the ease of the interviewer and prepare it accordingly. Therefore a tabular-form describing your academic qualifications is advisable.

Preparing a resume is fun. I've realized this in the past few weeks.

Today, finally the faculty told me that my resume is almost perfect and is ready to go in any company.
I got rid of the 'atrocious' tag from my CV. What an (extra-curricular) achievement!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Bro,
    First of all congratulations for being connected with the blogging and people out here trust me blogging is nothing like "faukat ka kaam" or "style marna"..!!
    Thanks for posting this blog related CV.. Being already placed for final placements it becomes difficult to attend such type of sessions taken by our TOP-TEAM.. I hope your this blog will help me out when I have to make CV for my second job...

    Regards
    Prateek

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! King,
    Great post, it really helped me to update my resume.

    Yes! It is very difficult to write your life in a page. It takes lots of rumination about your life as per employers point of view which we generally never would have though before.
    I have already made my educational qualification section in a tabular form.

    Thanks! for the post and share your experience.

    ReplyDelete